Tennessee Scholars Adds Value to a Diploma !!
Tennessee Scholars has a clear and focused mission: to increase the percentage of Tennessee high school graduates prepared for post-secondary education, the workforce, or the military. It is a rewards and incentives program for students who graduate high school with the required courses and additional expectations of attendance, discipline, and volunteer service. Any student can be a Tennessee Scholar who chooses. The key to success is to prepare early. What are the benefits for graduating as a Tennessee Scholar? Tennessee Scholars requirements are the minimum requirements one needs to prepare for college. The benefits are scholarships to many Universities, job preferential hiring, recognition at graduation, obtaining the distinction of being a scholar that will be on your permanent record for the rest of your life. You can never go back and repeat high school so become a Tennessee Scholars today.
To become a Tennessee Scholar students complete a demanding high school curriculum that emphasizes “on level” and above courses in mathematics, science, social studies, language arts (English and foreign language), and computer literacy. The program also stresses the importance of attendance and dependability.
Tennessee Scholars is based on the existing Tennessee Higher Education system which includes:
Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology , Community Colleges, the Board of Regents Universities and the University of Tennessee.
It also fully considers the manufacturing and service industries in Tennessee and the trainable workforce needed for continuing their operations or new industry.
This Tennessee Standard will allow students to pursue academic excellence to enter colleges, universities, or the technical
How do you become a Tennessee Scholar?
- Apply by completing the application for Tennessee Scholars. Once you and your parents sign it, return to the school counselor in charge of your class.
- Tennessee Scholars must be documented on the checklist each year. The requirement must be completed without exception.
- Seniors must complete the student checklist before the deadline of your senior year (usually March 1st). Your counselor must approve your checklist to be eligible for the honor.
- Seniors must complete the online survey for graduating seniors that is available in January of each year. (Only high school seniors should complete this survey )
- Tennessee Scholars supports Tennessee Promise. All students are encouraged to sign up and complete the requirements to receive the funding from Tennessee Promise.
- Job Recruiters are searching for Tennessee Scholar Graduates!!!! Don’t miss out on this opportunity! Contact your School Counselor and sign up to Become a Tennessee Scholar Today!
- 4 years of English
- 4 Years of Math (Bridge Math does not count as a 4th Math for Tennessee Scholars) ( Successful completion of all competencies for Sails math will count)
- 3 Laboratory Sciences(Biology and Chemistry are required as 2 of those sciences)
- 3 Years of Social Sudies
- 2 Years of Foreign Language
- 1 Year of Fine Arts
- Personal Finance as required by the State of Tennesse
- Physical Education as required by the State of Tennessee
- 2 Additional classes of your choice in any subject
No class can count more than once.
Additional Workforce Development Requirements
- No Out of School Suspension
- Maintain 95% attendance for 4 years (No more than 36 total days missed in 4 years)
- Maintain a C or above average in all classes. If your final class completion grade is a D or F you must retake that class and make at least a C to count that grade for the class.
- Perform 80 hours or more volunteer service hours to help your community. These hours must be done before school or after school and cannot be counted as a grade or for pay. Mission trips can be counted as 8 hours per day you work. Please make sure you keep a log of your hours.